Come learn from a California lawyer about various ways to protect your business. This course will review legal concepts involving corporate formation, corporate maintenance, contracts, small claims court and intellectual property.
You will learn:
1. How to make, defend or escape from a contract;
2. The good and the bad regarding each common type of business structure:
• C-Corporation, S-Corporation
• Limited Liability Corporation (LLC)
• Sole Proprietor
3. Things to consider in maintaining the business structure you choose;
4. The ins and outs of Small Claims Court, the most cost-effective way to solve business disputes including participating in a mock court case; and
5. The basics of intellectual property including Trademark, Copyright, Patent and Trade Secret.
This interactive course includes:
Week 1: Contracts
Learn how to make, dispute or enforce leases, service contracts, product contracts, options, and more. Apply these concepts to an in-class hypothetical.
Week 2: Corporate Formation and Maintenance
Learn how to structure and maintain your company, including the taxes and other costs involved; whether to use insurance in addition to or in place of a corporate structure for liability protection; how to choose an insurance policy; and why some companies incorporate in Nevada or Delaware. Apply these concepts to an in-class hypothetical.
Week 3: Small Claim Court
Small claims court can be a cost saving resource for small business owners caught in a dispute. Learn tips for winning your case, navigating the system and avoiding costly legal fees. Participate in a mock trial to see how best to apply various these tips in wining your case.
Week 4: Intellectual Property
Do you have a logo, catchy phrase, invention/process/formula to protect? This class will teach you how Trademark, Copyright, Patent and Trade Secret rules can help you do so. Apply these concepts to an in-class hypothetical.